7. Louisiana

Month: April 2015
Location: New Orleans & Gonzales

I was scheduled to attend a work related meeting in Gonzales, Louisiana and so combined that with a visit to New Orleans as a part of the program.  The meeting required us to be in Gonzales on Monday evening and so on Sunday morning I found myself on a flight headed to New Orleans.  As you approach from the air, the swamp surrounding the city is visible as far as the eye can see.  Somewhere in middle of that swamp is the town of Gonzales.  But that can wait.  First there was a day to be spent in the city of ‘Mardi Gras’.

The model of New Orleans downtown
I had been to New Orleans years ago with my buddies but that had literally been an overnight sprint.  Well, so was this but I had a chance to plan a couple of activities during my stay.  I took a cab to my hotel and as one approaches the downtown, passing by the ‘Superdome’, the historic architecture is evident.  The hotel itself was quite charming and in the center of the lobby was a scaled model of the entire downtown with the streets and buildings laid out.  As is my usual practice, I asked at the front desk where I should go for brunch and the quick answer was, ‘Ruby Slipper’.

After a customary wrong turn I arrived at the café which was typical of something that one would find in a European city – open spaces, high ceilings with fans and lots of natural light on tiles.  I ordered myself a good old fashioned southern breakfast topped off by a glass of ‘Bloody Mary’.  The barman was a friendly chap and as I was about to leave, uttered the words which I have waited for a long time to hear – “Do you want another one to go?”  As much as I would have liked to respect the local customs, I declined and set about to explore the city.  I walked down the historic ‘Canal Street’ down to the waterfront and there was some sort of music festival going on over there.  I walked about for a bit and then headed to my first destination, ‘St. Louis Cathedral’.

'Mardi Gras' in all its splendor
I went inside and while is nowhere close in splendor to ‘Cathedral Basilica’, which I had visited last month, it is a charming place nevertheless.  I lighted my candles just as they announced closing time, meaning that I had to leave soon.  I didn’t have to travel far, since right next door was a building that I found interesting – ‘Louisiana State Museum’.  I asked the attendant if they were closing soon and was told that I had about an hour.  The museum was just two floors but each had a distinct New Orleans theme.  The first floor was a look back at one of the darkest hours in the cities recent past, ‘Hurricane Katrina’.  The exhibit took the visitor through the days before the hurricane hit the city, leading up to the actual tragedy, followed by the aftermath.  But it wasn’t just that.  It was also a story of the triumph of human spirit and how the city recovered through this to rediscover its groove.  If the downstairs was a bit solemn, the upstairs was an absolute party, with an entire floor dedicated to the festival of ‘Mardi Gras’.  With elaborate costumes and other paraphernalia on display, the place is exactly what you expect New Orleans to be.  As much as I would have liked to have spent more time there, the museum was about to close and I had places to be.  Dark tales of ghosts and spirits awaited me.

One of the recommendations when it comes to doing activities in New Orleans is walking through the historic ‘French Quarter’.  And nothing says a walking tour like ‘5-in-1 Ghost Tour’ complete with “Voodoo”, “Witchcraft” and “Werewolves”.  Furthermore, when the said tour is at twilight, sign me up.  I was supposed to meet the group at a place called ‘Reverend Zombie’s Voodoo Shop’, well because, why not have that as a starting point for such a tour.  The shop – which is a famous landmark in the city - is unlike anything I have ever seen.  Every nook and corner of the place had interesting tidbits and items and I could have spent an entire day there and still stay interested.  But the one thing that caught my eye was a sign that said “Fortune Teller”.  I learned that there was a gentleman who reads palms and since I was in New Orleans and in a shop such as this one, I signed up for an appointment the next morning.

Only in New Orleans
I found my tour group and checked-in.  There was still some time to go and they asked if I would like to carry a beverage with me on the tour.  Once again, I love this city!  I went to an adjoining bar and ordered the most famous cocktail on ‘Bourbon Street’, a “Hurricane”.  The barman saw my tour sticker and said that I was entitled to a second free drink because they had an arrangement with the tour operator.  I said to him that I was by myself and so he asked if I wanted him to “make me a double”, words to which I found myself saying “Yes”.  And so he did, handing me the party cup and saying that I shouldn’t drink it too fast.  You know it’s a stiff drink when the guy making it tells you that.  Whatever his advice, I was done with that before the tour commenced.

For the next couple of hours we walked about the area and were all entertained with stories of haunted hotels, gruesome killings, demon dogs, cannibals and all things scary.  Plus I learned how “Voodoo” is akin to a religion and how there are actual “Vampire Societies” in existence.  After the tour was done, I walked back through the ‘French Quarter’ to get to my hotel but was stopping frequently to visit the chic boutiques and other shops that can be found on every corner.  This to me is the real treasure of this neighborhood rather than the bars.  For dinner I was on my way to a place called the ‘Grill Room at Windsor Court Hotel’, which was supposed to have a good “Chef’s Tasting Menu”.  The hotel itself is fantastic and looks steeped in luxury with grand exteriors, marble flooring and lush carpets.  The restaurant décor was perfect, with its lighting and the view of the courtyard below.  Plus it was raining outside, which is an ideal scenario in a setting like this.  The dinner went well and afterwards being back at the hotel, I reflected on a day well spent.

The famous 'Cafe Du Monde'
The next morning I was headed to the famous ‘Café Du Monde’ to have its famous coffee, though they are also known for their ‘Beignets’.  Now, while the rest of the world loves this concoction, the one time I had ‘Beignets’ during my previous visit, I had found them to be carriers for massive amounts of powdered sugar.  I waited in the long line to get a table and to the surprise of the server, just ordered a cup of coffee.  The café itself has a semi-outdoor open feel to it with tables that are lined up right next to each other.  Just as I finished my coffee, the heavens opened and for the next 30 minutes it was me dodging in an out of shops, most of which were quite interesting.  I had brunch reservations at a place called ’Court of Two Sisters’ and not just any brunch, but a New Orleans style buffet with jazz music in the background.  As I feasted on – amongst other things – creole seafood omelet, I watched a grandfather dance with a little toddler girl with the jazz musicians joyfully playing them on.  There was one last thing to do before meeting my colleagues for a trip to Gonzales.

I had made an appointment to have my fortune read at ‘Reverend Zombie’s Voodoo Shop’ and that’s where I was headed.  I came there and waited while the person who was going to be my “fortune teller” prepared himself.  Just earlier he had been outside chatting with the rest of the staff and perhaps this was just a way to enter into whatever spiritual plane he needs to go to.  I went inside and we started with a palm reading.  He was using a pen to draw lines on my palm and by the time he was done, my palm had more lines than an architectural design.  During my time there I learned that I was on my 9th life and in at least 2 of my previous lives I had been a “public figure”. In fact, in my previous life I was “the man of the people”.  He then went on to say that there was some sort of “déjà vu” manifesting itself in my life and I should try some meditation and just “chillax”.  Oh and I also need to ask for my “soul-piece” back from someone. He then laid out the “Tarot cards” and I picked “The Hermit”, “10 of Cups inverted”, “6 of swords” and finally “The Devil”.  There was something about not caring about material possessions, meeting someone special and travelling.  Well, that and the “Devil” of course! 

On a Mississippi barge
With this, the vacation part of my trip was over and it was time to get to Gonzales.  I went back to the hotel to pick up my bag and take a cab to the airport.  One of my colleagues was already there with a car and he picked up along with one more person.  We then rode through the swamp for almost an hour to get to Gonzales, where the biggest attraction is the Outlet Mall.  I was here as a part of my Company’s “Cultural Advisory Board” and we were visiting our ‘River Operations’ office in Convent, which is another 30 minutes from Gonzales.  The next day, after a round of meetings, we got to ride in our boats on the Mississippi and go on our barges that transport coal and other commodities up river.  Before that was a session learning to wear the life jackets and also what to do if overboard, including a move where we put our hands around our throat as if chocking oneself!  It was a good day, as was the next one, not to mention the grand southern food we were served for lunch.  The day of our departure was a long car ride back to the New Orleans airport but it had been a great visit.  I had been in the city for a little over 24 hours but had managed to cover a lot of ground.  Onword to the next stop on the journey.


No comments:

Post a Comment