29. Arizona - Part 2

Month: February 2017
Location: Scottsdale, Phoenix & The Grand Canyon National Park

It was dark when I woke up the next morning and while I couldn’t see anything outside, I could certainly hear the rainfall.  I went down to the lobby for my 6:20 am pickup and as I waited outside on the portico, saw another gentleman with a backpack and wondered if he was on the same tour.  A small bus arrived at 6:20 am and I climbed aboard, as did this gentleman, and after a bit of confusion – apparently he was on another bus going to the same place but was given the wrong pickup location – we departed.  He sat next to me and I learned that his name was Craig, and he was a retired “New Zealander” who resided in Turkey and was here for a short visit.  He appeared to be a nice guy and a good travelling companion for the day.

Entering the beautiful Sedona
The weather cleared up a bit as we left the downtown and after picking up the rest of our group, we were on way.  As we passed through the cacti streamed landscape, our guide was on top form, pointing out some of the unique forms along the road, including “hugging cactus” - which we saw while going past them at 60 mph!  We stopped once at a gas station, where I picked up some coffee and a breakfast bar, and then it was on to Sedona, our half way point of the trip.  The rain picked up as we entered the beautiful town of Sedona, and the mist in the air made it appear to be even more charming.  Our guide told us that Sedona is the “resort capital” of the nation and most of them are pretty expensive, going for thousands of dollars a night. Looking around, I could see why.

The famous "Red Rock" of Arizona
Sedona is known for its “Red Rock” and we stopped at a viewing point to take a look at some of the most amazing creations of nature.  The massive red cliffs towered in front of us and the mist made it more enchanting.  There are trails that lead you to several of them for a day of hiking, though our guide pointed out that you had to tell people where you were going, so that they can dispatch search parties if you failed to return.  Today wasn’t a day to go there, even though the mist made it very enchanting.  We got back in the bus and continued towards downtown Sedona, as our guide pointed out different cliff formations that had been named based on their shape, such as “The Cathedral”, “The Submarine” and even “Snoopy and Charlie Brown”.  Bronze sculpted art works were all around us and our guide showed us a store that looked busy and he said that one could spend an entire day in there and yet not see everything, something that I could believe.

The fantastic candles
There was a drizzle as we got off on the main street, which was lined on both sides with local stores and surrounded by the red rock cliffs.  It is absolutely a place that I have to visit again, because the 30 minutes that we had would not be enough.  I saw an interesting store and went inside to check it out.  It was a “candle shop” and the gentleman there was hand making each candle.  These weren’t the usual cylindrical candles, but were shaped like a cauldron with artwork on the exterior.  I wanted to get one, though the choice wasn’t that easy since all the candles looked amazing.  I picked one and chatted with him as he showed me the process through which he makes them.  I love visiting local stores and nothing looked more local than this.  I went to check out a couple of other stores, before it was time to get underway.

Yeah, this is the desert
As we made our way towards the Canyon, the rain had now changed to snow and it was coming down in buckets.  Looking at the countryside outside the window one could be forgiven for thinking that we were driving through the Northeast rather than Arizona.  It wasn’t looking promising for our helicopter ride and that was confirmed by the flying company as we pulled into the airport just outside of the park.  Well, that just meant that we would have more time to explore on foot, if there was even a chance of doing that!  As we entered the ‘Grand Canyon National Park’, the weather was slightly better, though not much.  Our guide dropped us off near a lodge and said that the Canyon was on the other side of the building and that he would be back in an hour to pick us up.

My first view of the Canyon
Craig and I went through the lodge, where a group of teenage hikers where sitting by the fireplace warming up and it looked more like a scene from a ski resort.  We came out from the back and while it should have been one of the best “reveals”, we saw nothing…absolutely nothing.  We were at the edge of the Canyon and all that we could see were mist and clouds.  We went over to a gift shop, which had a balcony that should have been a great viewing location, but still nothing.  By this time my socks had been soaked and there is nothing more miserable than that.  So I purchased a pair at the shop and changed into them, though my relief was short-lived since it was still wet outside.  There were trails leading down to the base of the Canyon and that hike is something that I definitely want to do someday.  Our guide had told us about the Mules which usually take people down and while you would never see me on one, he did mention that their footing was much safer than a hikers. In any case, there wasn’t much hiking going on today.

Well, at least I got my picture taken
After a brief visit to a museum which showcased the first photographic expedition of the Canyon, more than a century ago, it was time to return back to meet our guide.  Our next stop was at the main “Visitor’s Center”, which was a gateway to one of the best observation points, though our chances weren’t that good.  It had stopped drizzling, but it picked up as soon as we got out of the bus and while we really couldn’t see anything, we did go over to the viewing area and take some pictures – of ourselves.  There was a video presentation in the center and after seeing that, it was time to head back to the bus.  Yes, we may not have seen the Canyon, but being there still filled me with a sense of accomplishment.  Plus, I had already made up my mind that I would return back and when I do, I would be going down.  I just have to make sure that I don’t come during the one weekend of the year when it snows!

Typically we would have headed back, but our guide was determined that we saw at least some part of the Canyon and so decided to take us to another spot, hoping that there would be a break in the clouds.  The weather was definitely improving on the surface and the sun had made an appearance.  The problem was still the mist in the Canyon’s interior, though our guide spotted an opening and all of us jumped out for some pictures.  But we really struck gold a few miles further and this time it was a clear view of the Canyon’s magnificence.  Just in that brief moment it was apparent why this is a considered one of the “Wonders of the World” and immediately, any sense of disappointment that the group may have had was forgotten.  This sight had been worth the wait.

Finally...a glimpse of the wonder
We were taking a different route back and it was now as sunny as can be expected in an Arizona dessert.  We were headed to a native town called Cameron and the drive there took us past some other, smaller canyons and it looked spectacular.  This really is a beautiful part of the country and requires more than just a day for someone to truly appreciate it.  As we came into Cameron, we could see some settlements which were really small…in some cases shacks.  Our guide said that these were very simple people for whom the land meant a lot more than materialistic comforts.  We were stopping at a place called “Cameron Trading Post”, which is a store full of artifacts made by native artisans.  It was a huge store and almost everyone ended up buying souvenirs, which were really amazing, and most came with a card introducing us to the artist who made it.  Then it was a long ride back to Scottsdale, which would take 3.5 hours.  Fortunately, our bus was equipped with a “DVD Player” and for at least a part of the trip; we saw the movie “Goonies”.  It was late when I was dropped off and after saying goodbye to my buddy Craig; I headed to the Hotel bar for some food and then retired to my room, thoroughly exhausted.

A beautiful day in Scottsdale
My final morning in Scottsdale looked like the best day in terms of weather.  It was indeed beautiful outside as I decided to walk through the arts district.  This was the only thing that I had planned for today and so I crisscrossed the different streets, trying to visit as many shops and galleries as I could - while not quite following the Blue line that marks the path that one should take to visit the galleries.  All the galleries are open to public and while most proprietors greet and then leave you alone, some were looking at me as if I was something that the cat had dragged in.

The treasures inside the galleries
It wasn’t just the galleries though as I found some other delightful treasures, like a “Oil and Vinegar Store” that offered tasting of its exotic…well, oils and vinegar's, as well as some chocolate dips.  I also saw a cute Gelato shop tucked away in an alleyway and while I passed that, there was another place that I just had to stop at.  The sign outside said ‘The Great Australian Bakery’ and they advertised as having “the best coffee in Scottsdale”.  I went inside and besides the Australian flags; they had stuffed Kuala’s and Kangaroo’s on display.  Their showcases were full of Sweet and Savory pies as well as a dessert named “Lamington”, which apparently is quite popular over in Australia.  I ordered a mini Chocolate pie along with the coffee and while it was good, it was far from the best in the city…or maybe it was since I hadn’t had enough sample size to compare.

It had been a fine visit
I continued my exploration and reached ‘Old Adobe Mission’, which is one of the old churches in the city.  Right next to it is one of the modern institutions, named ‘The Mission’ and they make some really good food.  After a fantastic lunch, I continued walking through the neighborhood. The last thing I did before leaving was return back to that Gelato shop that I seen earlier and having one.  I came back to my hotel to collect my bag and called an ‘Uber’ to take me to the airport.  The driver and I discussed my visit to the Canyon and he told me about how he had hiked down and gave me tips for when I do it.  As I sat at the gate and reviewed the trip in my mind, yes I had not been able to see the “Grand Canyon”, but I wasn’t upset about that.  Not at all.  If anything, I was convinced that this wouldn’t be the last time that I come to Arizona.


No comments:

Post a Comment