39. Hawaii – Part 1

Month: December 2017
Location: O’ahu & Big Island

Well, this was the big one.  Ever since I started on this journey Hawaii was always in my mind, especially with the time – and expense – commitment that it would require.  When I had classified the 51 destinations in different zones, both, Alaska and Hawaii has been designated as “Outer States”.  But, I had been to Alaska before and so it didn’t seem that intimidating.  While I could have spent more time there, I was able to have a good visit in just 3 days.  That would not be so easy with Hawaii, especially since it would take a day just to get there.  So I decided to do it over the week between Christmas and the New Years, since things are slow in the office.  Then came the decision on which island's to visit, and while Maui and Kaua’i are often described as the most beautiful, I wasn’t going there to lie down on a beach for a week.  So I picked O’ahu - because that’s where Honolulu was and I like cities - and Hawai’i or The Big Island, because there was something that I desperately wanted to do and this was the place to do it.  I wanted to see the ‘Milky Way’.

The Hawaiian Islands
On the Big Island is ‘Mauna Kea’, which is the tallest mountain on the planet if measured from the bottom of the ocean.  My buddy had told me about this tour which took you to the summit at twilight and once it was dark, they turned off all ambient light so that you could see the stars the way they were meant to be seen.  I have never been to a place which was dark enough to do this and this was my chance.  So when I booked all of my travel back in February, I also booked this.  I also booked a day trip to see ‘Pearl Harbor’, and then did some research on ‘Volcanoes National Park’, which was also on the Big Island.  I was going to fly into Honolulu, spend 3 nights there, and then take an inter-island flight to Hilo, which was on the East coast and closer to the National Park.  After spending a night there I would then drive around the island to Kona, on the West Coast and visit ‘Mauna Kea’ the next day.  Then I would return back to Honolulu for another night and take a “red-eye” back to Chicago on December 30th.  Then I realized that I had no reason to be back for New Year’s and why shouldn’t I just extend my trip.

On my way back I was connecting through LA and since I had never been there, I thought that this would be a great opportunity to do so.  Well, I and the rest of the world I suppose since the hotel rates were through the roof.  The next option was to rent a car and drive down to San Diego and that wasn’t a bad thing since I could make a day trip of it.  So I booked a hotel in San Diego and then called the airlines to see if I could change.  They were happy to oblige as long as I mortgaged myself to pay the difference.  So I asked what would happen if I just left the flight in LA.  They said nothing, as long as I had no checked luggage and I wouldn’t even have to tell anyone.  They would wait for me till departure and then just leave.  That was fine by me, but it did present a challenge.  I would have to pack for 12 days encompassing 6 flights segments and 5 hotels, while figuring out how to do it with carry-on luggage. 

The month leading up to my departure I spent several evening planning for my time over there, including where I wanted to eat, the bars I wanted to go to and of course the places that I wanted to visit.  It was by far the most exhaustive preparation that I had done so far.  I even called all the tour places and the restaurants that I was planning to visit to confirm my reservations – especially since some of them had been done months in advance.  My trip to ‘Pearl Harbor’ had a 5:50 am pickup from a hotel that was a few blocks away from where I was staying.  So I checked and found that I could in fact cancel my reservation, switch to this pickup hotel and pay the same rate.  That would make it ideal to just come down and board a bus.  The night before I left, I laid out all of my clothes and other stuff that I wanted to carry and somehow managed to stuff it in a carry-on bag and a backpack.  It was good thing that the weather would be warm and more or less stable, meaning I wouldn’t have to carry too many sweaters.  However, some of the restaurants that I was planning to visit had a strict dress code and that took up a lot of room in the bag.  But, I was ready for what would be the longest domestic vacation that I have ever gone on.

Below that cloud cover is the blue Pacific
At 7 am I took a ‘Lyft’ – I had diversified my “ride share” options – to the airport and arrived well in advance of my departure time.  Fortunately, my carry-on bags made it past the person checking for the size limit and then it was just a lot of waiting till my boarding was called at 9:30 am.  The good thing about taking a day flight was that it would put me in Hawaii in the evening.  It was almost 5 hours to LA, but each seat had a TV screen and so I spent most of it watching a couple of movies.  The 2 hour layover was spent trying to get a really relaxed server to get me food at an airport bar, and then I arrived at my gate for the flight to Hawaii.  The number of people by the gate looked like I was boarding an international flight and for all practical purposes it could well have been one.  This was one of those aircraft's which had two aisles with 10 seats per row and a business class that made me envious.  I had a tight schedule this evening and so a 20 minute departure delay did make me a bit nervous.  But we took off and were immediately over the Pacific, which was as blue as described.  For the next 5 hours and half hours we would not see land and it’s incredible that something that appears so close on a map is deceivingly far.  Well, thank heavens for video entertainment and it was a few more movies for me.

It was 7 pm and dark when we landed in Honolulu and it took some time for me to get out.  I navigated through the long terminal towards the exit and at one stage walked over a bridge which was open, thus confirming that I was in a much warmer place than the one that I had left.  I got into a cab and as we drove into town, the thing that struck me the most was how much this place reminded me of Mumbai; especially the architecture. The lack of "chain restaurants" on the streets and other things made me feel that this was very much a foreign country.  The gentleman driving me was giving me pointers on things to do and about the island.  I was staying in the ‘Waikiki Beach’ area with the downtown being a few miles away, though according to him nothing happened there.  We arrived at ‘Ala Moana Hotel’ and it looked huge.  There was a lot of traffic near the hotel, primarily because it was next to the biggest malls in the city and it was after all the holiday season.

Dinner with a view
I checked in and the receptionist said that they were giving me a room in the quiet section away from the street noise.  Well, that room was also far from the elevator and a trek to get there.  I had been on the road for almost 17 hours and so gladly took a refreshing shower and then it was time to leave again.  I called an ‘Uber’ to go to a nearby resort called ‘Halekulani’ which housed the restaurant ‘La Mer’.  The evening was pleasant and this area was quite busy.  I arrived at the resort and then after a few wrong directions, found my destination.  This was a classic French restaurant and despite my apprehension over the last month that I would be late, I was in fact early for my reservation.  So I went over to the bar named ‘L ’Aperitif’ which had a classic bartender in white jacket.  I had to double check the price of the cocktails because these were some expensive drinks.  I ordered something called ‘Halekulani Cocktail’, which was accompanied by a small container of ‘Rockford Blueberry Syrup’.  While I am not sure if it justified the price, this was an excellent drink.  They came to get me for my table, which was overlooking a small balcony beyond which was the beach and the ocean. They even moved my table closer so that I had an excellent view. There couldn’t have been a more perfect start to my week here and I could have stayed there for a long time, just listening to the ocean at night.  Plus, the food was excellent, though the service was a bit overbearing at times.  But that is better than the other option I suppose.  After dinner I stood on the balcony for a while and then called a ride back.  It had been a long day and I was ready to turn in.

Early morning at 'Ala Moana Center'
While not the worse night, I had been dealing with a cough for the last couple of weeks and it did prove to be a nuisance.  But even with that and the fact that I was late by Central Time standards in going to bed, I was wide awake at 7 am.  Now that I was up so early, I rearranged some of my schedule based on when places opened and where they were located.  Yeah, I was well prepared for this one.  I got ready and found the bridge connecting my hotel to the mall, ‘Ala Moana Center’.  As advertised, this place was huge, being open-air with a central walkway and shops on either side spread over multiple levels.  In fact, not only was this the largest shopping mall in Hawaii, it was the 7th largest in the US and the largest open-air shopping center in the US.  And it was also quite empty.  This wasn’t a surprise since it was just after 8 am in the morning.  I did locate a coffee stand called ‘Honolulu Coffee Company’ and got something called “Hawaiian Latte”.  I also spend some time – unsuccessfully - trying to locate the place where I was supposed to have dinner, since it was supposed to be this secret entrance at the basement level parking lot.  When they had called to confirm my reservation, they had said that if I couldn’t find them, I should wait outside a ‘Barnes & Nobel’ store and they would come get me.  Well, I guess that’s what I would need to do.

Now that's what I call Breakfast!
I returned back to my hotel at 9 am and called a ride to go get some food.  It was a place called ‘Koko Head Café’ which described itself as an “Island Style Brunch House”.  It was located away from the crowds in a simple building, though once inside it resembled a brunch café.  And a popular one at that since it was full.  I was lucky to get a table and looking at the menu I saw a lot of Asian inspiration.  I ordered a dish called “Chicky and Eggs”, which was, well, Chicken and Eggs over rice in a hot bowl… a very hot bowl.  As I looked at the menu, I realized that rice was staple over here and present in almost all dishes, even with eggs!  Now while I would typically not be found eating Chicken for breakfast at 9 in the morning, I was still adjusting to the time zone, at least that’s what I told myself.

'Bishop Museum'
I called a ride to go to ‘Bishop Museum’, which is actually the “Hawaii State Museum of Natural and Cultural History”.  They gave me a map at the ticket counter and I saw that there were several buildings around a central lawn and besides the main building housing the cultural exhibits; there was a “Planetarium”, a “Hawaii Sports Hall of Fame” and even a “Science Adventure Center”.  There was a guided tour of the main hall and since I had some time prior to that, I went to the building with the Science Center first.  One of the more fascinating things here was a tunnel which I suppose was depicting the flora and fauna of Hawaii as well as Native Culture. However, with its dark passages and fluorescent objects, it looked more like the interior of a “Tiki Bar”.  Besides this, there were some hands-on activities for kids and perhaps the most notable thing in this building was a giant "Volcano", which replicated flowing lava.  Kids and their parents were starting to assemble here and I left for the next building.

The grand "Pacific Hall" 
There was some sort of exhibit on animation in one building and I walked through that before making my way to the main building called “Hawaiian Hall Complex”, for the guided tour.  The tour started with the docent telling us about the history of the museum, which was founded in late 19th century by a gentleman Charles Reed Bishop, in honor of his late wife, Royal Princess Bernice Pauahi Bishop.  The museum houses Hawaiian objects, including those previously belonging to the royal family.  We walked through the halls looking at these artifacts as we learned about how the Hawaiian Islands were settled, which was through Polynesian natives voyaging across the vast Pacific Ocean in nothing more than basic seafaring vessels.  There were other rooms, including "Pacific Hall" which had galleries spanning 3 floors, and hanging from the ceiling was a giant model of a Whale.  There were several things to see in here and a lot of history and culture on display, but I just took a cursory glance and then moved on to other buildings.  The “Hawaii Sports Hall of Fame” was a room with photographs and stories on Hawaiian athletes, almost all of who were unknown to me.  The final place I visited was an exhibit called “NASA’s Earth Observing Mission”, which was an interactive exhibit showing how NASA uses satellites to gather data.  I walked through here and then back to the main building to request a ride to my next destination.

The 'Capitol'
I was going to ‘Hawaii State Art Museum’ and it was located in downtown.  The driver dropped me off and pointed to a building which looked like a mansion.  I soon realized that I was at the wrong location and this was in fact ‘Iolani Palace’, the only palace in the US.  I had a ticket for a tour next week and would be back. After asking for some directions, I found the museum I was seeking.  Although the name included “State Art Museum”, this wasn’t a very big place, with just two galleries, albeit interesting; and was free to the public.  After walking through them I asked the gentleman at the front desk how to get to my next place and he pointed out the directions enthusiastically.  It was about a mile away and I was going to walk over there.  He told me to check out the ‘State Capitol’ on the way, saying that it was across the street.  I had not seen any building with the traditional dome and so was surprised to hear that.  I soon realized that unlike the buildings in the other state capitals, ‘Capitol’ of Hawaii was a rectangular building with a central courtyard, and which looked more like a “Modern Art Gallery”.

'Honolulu Museum Of Art'
I walked to the ‘Honolulu Museum Of Art’, which was on the side of a busy road.  As I got my ticket, I learned that the museum had another location up the hill called ‘Spalding House’ and my ticket could get me into that place as well.  This location was quite expansive and reminded me of the ‘Heard Museum’ in Phoenix, in terms of its architecture and layout.  I walked through its many galleries and outdoor courtyards and even got some “Iced Mocha” to enjoy while sitting outside.  After I felt that I had gotten the most out of this place, I called an ‘Uber’ to go to the ‘Spalding House’.  The driver called and told me to go to the side street since this was a busy road and he wouldn’t be able to stop.  I did as asked and saw him take the corner a bit more aggressively than he would have preferred, thus causing the side of his car to scrape against the sidewalk.  He proceeded past me and pulled into a small area on the side to examine the damage and seemed a bit annoyed.  Fortunately, he didn’t take it out on me and we started our climb up to the house.

The garden's of  'Spalding House'
I was glad that I had not chosen to walk since it was quite a hike up the hill.  I was dropped off in front of what looked like, well, a house.  The lady inside saw the museum sticker on my shirt and waved me in.  Though the exterior was like a house, the interior was unmistakably like a museum.  There were a few galleries, including a library room, where I pulled out some books on photography and spent some time looking at them.  There were just a couple of visitors besides me and it was a quiet place.  Outside was a garden with some sculptures, on a manicured lawn overlooking a great view of the city.  There was also a path leading down through the bushes and I went down part of the way before turning back, realizing that this looked exactly like a never-ending pit which they tell you to avoid in the movies!  Speaking of creepy, there was another small cottage with an exhibit called “L’Enfant et les sortiléges” roughly translated as “The Child and the witchcraft”.  It was a dark room with florescent paintings of a garden and several objects resembling animals.  One in particular looked like a Panther about to pounce and I couldn’t get out of there fast enough.

"Monkey Pod Mai Tai"
As can be expected, it took over 10 minutes for my ride to get over here and by now I was tired.  I was going to this bar which was known for its cocktails, but there was some time before it opened.  So I popped into a place near it, called ‘Moku Kitchen’.  There was something on the menu named “Monkey Pod Mai Tai”, and I suppose it was called so because there was foam on top which tasted like a banana.  It was delicious and a nice start to the evening.  ‘Bevy’, the place I was going to, looked like a “speakeasy” with its dark entry and interiors.  Plus, the cocktail list was interesting and the bartenders seemed to know what they were doing.  I got a drink called “Mai Thai”, and that isn’t a typo.  It was an Asian play on the classic and the flavors were spot on.

The hidden entrance of 'Bar Leather Apron'
I have always tried to go to the top rated cocktail bar in each city that I have visited and the one over here was called ‘Bar Leather Apron’.  It was about a mile away in the heart of downtown and I decided to walk there.  It road took me along the waterfront, next to the pier with massive “cruise ships” and into what looked like the financial district.  The problem was locating the place, because there was no sign and there was nothing resembling a bar at the stated address.  I tried calling them, but reached a voicemail and now I was truly stuck.  I entered a high rise building and asked the security guard if he knew where the place was and to my surprise, he pointed upwards, saying I should go around the corner and up flight of stairs.  Now I found it and even though it had been just a few minutes past the opening, there were already several folks here.  I was directed to a table and ordered their signature drink, “E Ho’Opau Mai Tai” or “World’s Best Mai Tai”, apparently having won the award in 2015.  While it was quite good, I didn’t even think it was the best “Mai Tai” I have had this evening.  But, they made a production out of presenting it, with smoke and all the pretentiousness that the best bar in the city carries.  People were now coming in droves, including a group who said that they had come straight from the airport – my kind of people.  I called an ‘Uber’ back to my hotel, making sure I identified a landmark first, and arrived with plenty of time to spare before my dinner.

And the hidden entrance of 'Vintage Cave Club'
In my research, ‘Vintage Cave Club’, had been identified as the most exclusive place in the city; with President Obama and the First Lady having dined there.  Initially I had made a reservation for later in the evening, but with my early morning wake up call, I had moved it to 7 pm.  I walked over to the mall as before and descended down to the basement. Once again, I was unable to see the place and so called them.  I waited outside ‘Barnes & Nobel’ and very soon a lady appeared and guided me towards a narrow alley.  I entered though some doors and into an elevator that deposited me one floor up, meaning that they could have had their entrance in a much more respectable location. But where’s the fun in that?  The interior looked like a dungeon…and a museum.  There were paintings and display cases lined up against arched brick walls and the only thing missing was flaming torches.  I loved it.

The interior
The service was excellent, as can be expected of a top notch place, though we did not start off well.  I ordered an ‘Old Fashioned’ and when it appeared in a glass full of ice cubes, I asked the server to make it with just one big one…as this drink should be.  When he said that they did not have it, I said that I would change my order.  Now, this was me being a jerk, but I was also paying a fair sum for this experience.  While I would never do this is a normal bar, any place who claims to be known for their cocktails or a place like this which charges one an arm and a leg, should know better.  The dinner itself was outstanding and well worth the visit.  At the end I emerged into the same alley, climbed up the stairs, and through the mall towards my hotel.  I was back at a decent hour and if today had been a long day, tomorrow would be even longer.


To Be Continued…

No comments:

Post a Comment