39. Hawaii – Part 5


Month: December 2017
Location: O’ahu & Big Island

I took a ‘Lyft’ to my hotel, and as we drove there, it was more apparent than ever that Honolulu is very different than Hilo or Kona.  It seemed that everyone has descended on the island this week, particularly Waikiki Beach.  With the traffic it took us some time to get to my hotel, ‘Ohana Waikiki Malia’, which was located right in the heart of the busy Waikiki Beach and a block away from the main street with all the shops.  While the location was better than ‘Ala Moana’, the hotel itself was…well, quite ordinary.  And it was more expensive, just showing how location makes a huge difference.  As I checked in, they gave me a “beach bag”, and proximity to the beach is probably why people stay here.  I dropped off my bags and then set off for a walk, minus the beach bag.

The busy 'Waikiki Beach'
I arrived at the beach and you could hardly see the sand, since every inch was taken up by the people.  I wasn’t planning to stay here for long, but wanted to do one thing before leaving.  I wanted to touch the Pacific.  Well, that was easier said than done, since I had to first make my way there through the crowd.  I did manage to touch the water, but some poor judgement on my part also meant that my shoes and socks got wet.  Considering that I wasn’t going back to the hotel, I would just have to deal with for the rest of the evening.  I walked through some of the shopping malls and thankfully they weren’t like your typical mall layouts, but they were still crowded.  This was basically to kill time, and soon I was ready to proceed to my first stop of the evening.  I wanted to call a ride, but the challenge was now the pickup point on a very busy street.  So I did my usual trick of finding a hotel nearby and calling the ride from their foyer, which is much easier for everyone.

'Tchin Tchin! Bar'
I was going to a place called ‘The Manifest’ and it was located in Honolulu’s “Chinatown”.  The neighborhood had narrow one-way streets and so my driver was a bit confused.  But I made it there and it wasn’t exactly bustling.  I got a drink there and then went across the street to a place called ‘Tchin Tchin! Bar’, and yes the exclamation is weirdly placed.  It was trying to be a speakeasy and so had a simple door, which took some time to open.  Stairs led upstairs to a wide bar area in a bright room and a decent looking patio terrace.  It was supposed to be a popular place and especially crowded at night, but it was quite early and I was one of the few there.  I had an interestingly titled drink called “Mack The Knife” and left.

The fantastic 'Hi Brau Room'
I called a ride and once again, due to the one-way streets, it was an adventure finding each other.  Once we had sorted that out, I was dropped off at ‘Aloha Beer Co.’.  No, I wasn’t going there, but rather to a ‘speakeasy” above it called ‘The Hi Brau Room’.  Now, this was a cool bar with a cozy ambiance and definitely the best place I had visited today.  I struck up a conversation with the bartender, who was from Brisbane, Australia.  He recommended a drink called "The Laborer’s Lift’" which was a cocktail incorporating one of their beers.  The way to their restroom took one past their brewery and what looked like an indoor “food truck”.  I enjoyed my stay here and then called a ride to go to my dinner stop.

The uniform patterned design of '53 By The Sea'
I was going to another restaurant next to the beach and this one was called ‘53 By The Sea’.  Starting with the door, everything about it was exquisite and the interior had a pattern which was replicated in their window panes, their paintings, their curtains and even the handrails on the stairs.  The dinner was excellent and they even served something called “Adult Nuts” as accompaniment to their “Mai Tai”.  I was pleased that my last full night in Honolulu was in this restaurant.  I came back to my room after stopping to get a bottle of water in a nearby grocery store.  This would be my last decent sleep for almost 48 hours.  Well, that did not go so well, since my cough that had been building up for the past month was at its worse and made for an extremely uncomfortable night. 

The shopping center next to 'Kitchen and Meatery'
The next morning I packed my bags for the last time in Hawaii and dropped them off at reception.  I was leaving for the airport at night and was worried that they may raise a stink.  But they did not ask me and so I got out of there fast.  I took a ride to a restaurant called ‘Kitchen and Meatery’, which was located in a neighborhood which looked new.  The architecture was contemporary and everything was…clean.  There were restaurants and shops, but it wasn’t touristy.  It was more like a place the young people of Honolulu would live and hang out.  The restaurant – surprise surprise – was meat centric, with an open kitchen and I could picture the chefs grilling chunks of meat on an open flame at night.  But this was breakfast time, though they had done a good job of integrating their theme into the classics.  I came out of the restaurant using another exit and found myself inside a very charming shopping center, with boutique shops.  Often on these trips I picture myself living in specific neighborhoods of the towns that I visit and for Honolulu, this was it.

The 'Iolani Palace'
I called a ride into downtown and that took me through some rundown streets, polar opposite of where I had just been.  I was going to ‘Iolani Palace’, the only “palace” in United States…well unless you count the tiny ‘Hulihe’e Palace’ in Kona.  I had planned on visiting that, but the timing didn’t work out.  However, I had purchased tickets for a guided tour for this one and arrived ahead of time, which was good since there was a short video that we were encouraged to watch prior to going inside.  The video told the story of Queen Lili’uokalani, the last ruler of Hawaii before the monarchy was overthrown in 1893.  In fact, she was later imprisoned in a room in her own home and we would be seeing all of it today.  While in there, I was trying to control my coughing, so as to not disturb my fellow visitors. Maybe they thought that the tears in my eyes were due to me being affected by the story!  Fortunately, it was over soon and then we were outside, waiting for our turn to enter the palace.

The "Throne Room" inside
I was waiting under a spectacular looking tree, which had a dense covering of leaves and a trunk that looked like it was made of a collection of vines.  At 11 am we were invited to climb up the stairs and before going inside the house, were given a short history lesson and also some plastic booties to put over our shoes.  There was a wide wooden staircase that led to the upper floor, but we were told that we wouldn’t be taking it today.  Apparently the only time that visitors are allowed to use it was during special events such as the celebration for the Queen’s birthday, when the palace would be open for evening tours.  While not as opulent as some of the mansions of Newport, this was an impressive residence, with sprawling rooms; including the main throne room with the "crown jewels".  We took an elevator upstairs – obviously a more recent installation – and saw the room where the Queen had been imprisoned.  Also on display was the quilt that the queen worked on during her long hours in here.  It was a nice, informative tour and we were done in little less than an hour.

The fantastic road to Kailua
When I was planning how to spend my last day in Hawaii, I thought about hiking to the viewing area of ‘Diamond Head Crater’, which presented both, a view inside the crater and also Honolulu from an elevation.  However, more than one of my ‘Uber’ drivers over the last week had said that it was a typical tourist destination and there wasn’t anything special to warrant a trip.  They had instead recommended that I go to the town of ‘Kailua’ on the other side of the island.  It was a 30 minute ride there, though I had been told that it was worth the drive.  It wasn’t easy to set a pickup location since all roads around the palace were busy.  I found an alley nearby and waited there, watching the map and my driver took a long time to navigate through the traffic.  Once he was able to pick me up, we were on our way out of the busy downtown.  The drive to Kailua was a pleasant one, showcasing the true beauty of O’ahu.  Mountains run through the center of the island and we had to go through them to get to Kailua.  It was amazing that a few miles away from the concrete jungle of Honolulu was this paradise.  Plus there was rain in the air, making it even more alluring.

Main street of Kailua
My driver was a nice chap and we had a good conversation all the way there.  He mentioned that I would have a good time in Kailua and told me that I had to visit the beach.  Since I had no particular destination in mind, I asked him to drop me off on the main street.  Looking around, I liked what I saw.  It was a lively street with shops and restaurants on either side, but very much like a small town rather than the bustling Waikiki Beach.  I saw a sign that said “Visitor’s Center” and went over for some information.  The lady gave me a map and gave me some vague directions on how to get to the beach.  I was going to have to figure it out myself.  I visited some of the local shops and walked around a few blocks, including side streets.  I also found a ‘Whole Foods’ store - the first one that I had seen in Hawaii – and this one was quite busy, as was the rest of this town.

The pristine beach at Kailua
I plotted a route to the beach, which was little over a mile away and would take me through a residential neighborhood.  I started off towards it and now the skies were looking threatening.  I saw a “General Store” which had some local products, including ice cream, and the line was the only thing that prevented me from getting some.  I arrived at the beach and it was an extraordinary sight that awaited me.  Unlike the crowded beach at Waikiki, this one had few people and it looked pristine.  Now, this was the beach that one sees in postcards from Hawaii.  I saw what looked like a fallen tree trunk and sat there, soaking in what I was seeing, while listening to the waves.  This was worth crossing the island for…crossing the ocean for.

The "jungle" inside a shopping mall
On cue, it started drizzling as I headed back towards the town, and while I got drenched a bit, the rain wasn’t long lived.  I came back to the main street and called a ride back into Waikiki.  Once again, I had a good driver and we talked about how Kailua appeared to be a much better place to live than Honolulu or Waikiki.  I had seen a much younger demographic over in Kailua, and my driver said that many people commute to work from there to Honolulu.  It took us a bit longer to get back and as he dropped me off in Waikiki, the place looked busier than yesterday, if it was even possible.  I entered a shopping center and one thing to be said about the shopping areas here was they were unique.  For example, this one seemed to have something like a "jungle" in the center, with multiple levels for kids to explore.  I was going to the top level where all the restaurants were located.  I went to a nice looking place called ‘Herringbone’ and got a drink.  Then it was time for my last dinner in Hawaii.

A perfect end to the trip
When I had first moved to Chicago, a block away from where I lived was a restaurant called ‘Roy’s Waikiki’, though I never considered going there.  When I was researching places over here, I came across their main restaurant in Waikiki, and it was highly recommended.  So I read about it and being impressed, made a reservation.  I was looking it up on my phone for directions, and it said that it was closing soon.  Considering that I had a reservation, I wasn’t sure what was going on, but since it was just a couple of blocks away, decided to go anyways.  While it was nearby, it took me some time to navigate through the increasing crowd.  It now resembled the “Vegas Strip”, and I had to crisscross my way through the people, including a huge group of high school kids.  When I arrived at the street where the restaurant was located, I found that some places were on an upper level; meaning finding this wouldn’t be that easy.  I eventually located it and it was open, the information online being incorrect.  That was a good thing since it was a fantastic meal, ending with a “Chocolate Soufflé and Vanilla Ice Cream”. Now I was ready to leave the island.

A beautiful evening
Not quite, since this had been one of those rare times where I had dinner this early and there was still a lot of time before my flight.  Next to my hotel was a bar called, ‘Genius Lounge’, which was known for its cocktails.  As I walked there, it had turned into a beautiful evening and I was appreciating this area more now, especially with the lighted streets and people enjoying themselves.  I went to the 2nd floor, where the place was, and bypassed the outdoor balcony to take a seat at the bar.  The bartender was a friendly chap and said that they were known for the “Mojito’s”.  So, that’s what I got and by this time my battle with the cough had reached a stage where I was feeling sick and starting to have a bad headache, which isn’t the best thing before a long flight.  The bar was festive and they even had a Christmas tree in the corner, though this one had been decorated using beer cans as ornaments.  I finished the drink and left for my hotel.

Beer-Can Christmas Tree
It was still early for my flight, but I decided to go and wait at the airport.  I gathered my bags and took a final ride back.  Now, this was the time that I needed both of my bags to make it through as “carry-on”, since I was leaving the plane in LA.  My gate area was quite empty, which wasn’t surprising since there were over 2 hours for our departure.  By this time I was struggling with my cough and headache and I was constantly gulping down some throat lozenges and hoping for the best.  Soon people started coming in and we boarded our flight for a 10:30 pm departure.  I told the gate attendants that I was not planning on making my connection in LA and they said that I should just mention it to their counterparts over there.

This wasn’t as big of a plane as the one that brought us here, and their “First Class” was like any other domestic airlines, and not the one with reclining chairs on the flight here.  I had actually contemplated paying the obscene difference and upgrading, but seeing this I was glad I didn’t.  Well, that made for a very unpleasant night for me as I can never sleep properly on a flight, and my cough was acting up.  Plus, there was enough turbulence throughout such that even an upgraded seat wouldn’t have helped.  At one stage it felt like panels of the plane were being stripped off by the wind and it was by far the worst flight that I have been on in recent memory.  As we approached LA – which was still dark – I could see a thin sheet of fog that enveloped the entire city like a blanket.  I was glad to be on the ground and with my luggage in hand, I set off to find the gate for my connection to Chicago.  I told the agents there that I wasn’t going to be on it.  They asked if I had any luggage checked-in and when I said that I didn't, they thanked me for informing them.

I had decided that rather than spend the entire day like this, I would go and pay the fee for a day’s pass in “American Airlines Admiral’s Lounge”, specifically to use their shower.  I got the pass and went upstairs to find the showers.  Then I learned that I needed a key and had to come back to get one.  Fortunately, one of the private showers was available and while the water wasn’t as warm as I would have liked, I totally appreciated it.  My bags were open and my dirty clothes from the past week were spread out.  However, I still had 3 more nights in San Diego and so I consolidated and went outside for some breakfast.  They had a few items to choose from and I saw many people waiting for their flights in the lounge.  I charged all my devices for the next 20 minutes contemplating the last 8 days. It had been my longest and most eventful trip. Hawaii had always felt a bit out of reach.  Thanks to “51 in 51”, I had made it there and boy was it rewarding.  I had seen sights of nature like never before and had learned more about the events in Pearl Harbor that have shaped this country…and the world.  Yeah, I missed out on the one thing that mattered the most to me, but there will be another day when I will do that.  But for now, I still had next few days in Southern California to look forward to.  The last thing I heard as I left the terminal to head to the rental car area was my name being called on the “PA system” for immediate boarding to Chicago.  Good luck with that!



No comments:

Post a Comment