40. Alabama

Month: January 2018
Location: Birmingham

When I told my friends that I was going to Alabama, the first question was “Why?”  When I mentioned that this was the next state on my list, they asked if I could just cross the border and turn back, or even better option would be to spend an hour at the airport and return.  This is because Alabama does not have a good reputation amongst many living in the North.  The events during the “Civil Rights Movement” didn’t help and in some people’s mind, even the recent past has not been great.  I was going to go there no matter what, though my friends did tell me keep them updated of all of my movements when there.  Even with all of this apprehension, I was looking forward to my visit and set off on a Friday afternoon for Birmingham.

The most famous man in Birmingham
It was a quick flight that landed at 3:40 pm and a short ‘Uber’ ride to my hotel.  As I chatted with my driver I noticed a billboard that kept reappearing at regular frequency.  It was red colored and an advertisement for an “Accident & Injury Lawyer” named Alexander Shunnarah; with his smiling visage on the poster.  As I would come to learn over the next couple of days, he was an omnipresent entity in Birmingham.  I arrived at my hotel and after a quick check-in left for a place called ‘Avondale Common House & Distillery’ which was a short ride away.  I was dropped off at an intersection and once again I saw a billboard with Birmingham’s favorite attorney, with another one a block away.

The "Tardis" entrance
I went inside and a few folks were already in there, getting an early start on their Friday evening.  Plus, with amount of Bourbon that I saw on display, it was quite clear what they were known for.  I got a “Vanilla Old Fashioned” and tried to figure out how to get to my next destination.  I was going to one true “speakeasy” in Birmingham called ‘The Marble Ring’, and it was located less than a half a mile away.  It was located next to a park and as I approached it, I saw the sign on the side of the building, with a “fire escape” style stairway going up to it.  But that wasn’t the entrance.  Then I saw a group of people waiting and considering that it was still a couple of minutes to opening, they were early as well.  But that wasn’t the right place either.  I went around the corner and saw another small door with a sign saying ‘Hot Digitty Dogs’.  Now, online research had told me that this was the right place and so I went inside and took a narrow staircase to the 1st floor, where I entered a restaurant focusing on “hot dogs”.  Then I saw it, a “Tardis” style blue “Police Phone Booth”.  Clearly, with this and the hot dog place, these guys had been inspired by ‘PDT’ in NYC.

The charming 'The Marble Ring'
I went inside and the instructions said that I should pick up the phone to be let in.  There were still a couple of minutes before it opened and so I looked at the TV screen above it, which presented this place like something from the “20s”.  Soon I was let in and it was a fantastic interior.  There was a bar area in the center, and around it, the décor was indeed from that era.  Even the bartenders looked the part and on the menu they had a further explanation of their name.  Apparently this was inspired by a quote, “I hope you die in the Marble Ring”, by Zelda Fitzgerald, and thus the “20s Gatsby like theme”, though I have no idea what inspired that quote.  The menu was organized by cocktail types and the one that caught my eye was classified under “Boozy AF”.  It was called “3 Hours Between Planes” and while I wasn’t sure if I should be ordering from that category so early in the evening, the bartender convinced me otherwise.  It proved to be a good suggestion and by the time I was done, this place had filled up.  The exit was using a different door and this was the side that I first seen when I walked here.

Outside 'Carrigan's Public House'
I called a ride and chatted with my driver about Birmingham and being an ‘Uber’ driver over here.  I made a mistake of asking if she drove every day and she replied in exasperation, “Not on Sunday!  Sunday I go to church”.  Properly reprimanded, I was dropped off in front of ‘Carrigan’s Public House’, and this place was lively.  There was an outdoor patio and where people had gathered, and the bar area was full, despite having a long “L-shaped” bar tops.  Fortunately, there was a single spot available and I grabbed it.  This was clearly the spot for younger folks of Birmingham to hang out and based on the menu, the food looked good as well.  I ordered a cocktail called “Fightin’ Words” and tried to tune out the noise by plugging in my earphones.

The beautiful street outside 'The J. Clyde'
A short distance away on what looked like the main street - though it was quite empty - was a place called ‘Tavern On 1st.  This place was opposite of the earlier one, with hardly anyone in there. It wasn’t a bad place though, with some creatively named cocktails such as “Frontier Justice”.  I stayed here for a bit and then called a ride to go to a place called ‘Blue Monkey Lounge’.  My driver didn’t know about this place, but apparently it was near another popular bar.  It was located on a narrow brick street with yellow lighting, which gave the area a beautiful look.  The bar was located behind wrought iron gates, though there was a sign that said that it was closed for a week.  Well then, I guess I would have to try the other place, which was called ‘The J. Clyde’.  It looked like your typical local “watering hole” and wasn’t a bad alternative.

Walking towards 'Highlands Bar & Grill'
I was going to a restaurant called ‘Highlands Bar & Grill’, which was reputed to be one of the best in the city.  I saw on my phone that I could walk there, and so navigated my way across a few streets to find the restaurant and it was full to the brim.  My table wasn’t ready yet, so I waited at the bar area and that was overflowing as well.  Once I did get a seat, the food was excellent and coming here had been a good idea.  With Mr. Shunnarah looking over me, I took an ‘Uber’ back to my hotel and called it a night.  My first evening in Birmingham had been a success and I was looking forward to everything I had planned for tomorrow.  The only problem looked to be the weather forecast.

A very wet morning
For once the weather folks were right.  It was a lousy day, with an annoying drizzle that would take a break, but not go away completely.  I was headed to ‘Birmingham Museum of Art’ and with the rain staying away for now, I decided to walk there.  Well, that wasn’t best idea since it started enroute.  I was also looking to find a place for coffee but the one which had shown up on my map was not where it should have been.  The streets were empty, barring a few homeless folks that I saw in a park by the museum.  The building looked quite small compared to some of the other art museums, and there was a big sign outside that advertised free entry.  I did not have high hopes for this place and it was just a way to pass the time.  Well, I was pleasantly mistaken.

It was a fantastic musuem
There was some activity going on in the lobby and I have seen such family events in museums across the country on Saturdays.  I visited a couple of the galleries nearest to the entrance and they were small and quite plain in their décor. I thought that this would be a quick visit, and then I went to the other side.  There was a long corridor leading to a large painting at the end and several rooms on either side, each having its own theme and a distinct color scheme.  And it got even better on the 2nd floor, with its European and Asian collections.  There was even a “Modern Art” gallery and an outdoor “Sculpture Garden”, which I would have visited if the weather had cooperated.  This was one of the better art museums that I had visited and I saw some fairly remarkable items, such as a collection of “snuff bottles” and an amazing “Ivory Puzzle Ball” which was essentially 10 layers of “balls” carved within a single piece of ivory.  It was easily one of the most intricate pieces of craftsmanship that I have ever seen.

At 'Roots and Revelry'
There was a still a slight drizzle as I walked towards a restaurant named ‘Roots and Revelry’ for lunch.  The restaurant was located on the 1st floor of a building which looked like it was being renovated.  The dining room was contemporary and although it was open for dinner, it looked ideally suited for a Sunday brunch with mimosas.  I was given a table next to a group of ladies who looked like they had dressed up to go shopping and were now enjoying, well, mimosas.  The service was good as was the food, though the presence of the ladies who spent over 20 minutes saying goodbyes to each other was a bit tiresome.  As I left, I saw that lot of people were exploring the nearby banquet hall, which also looked to be under renovation.  This building and the restaurant seemed like a popular destination for the folks in Birmingham.

It would be a tour through the rain
My main activity for this afternoon was a city tour titled “Red Clay Tours: Meet The Magic City Tour with Clay Cornelius’, which was a long title.  While not all of it, a large chunk of the tour was by walking and the weather was a bit dodgy for that.  While I was willing to do so despite the rain, I wasn’t sure how the other folks would handle it.  The meeting point was identified as ‘Railroad Park’ and we had been sent the intersection of the 2 roads, which I always appreciate.  However, what I had not realized was that the numbers reset from “North” to “South” depending on which side of the railway line you were located.  So I arrived at what I thought was the right place and not finding any park there, had to rush to the correct location.  As I arrived, I saw a solitary gentleman waiting and he was Clay, the owner of the tour and also the guide.  I need not have worried about how the others would handle the weather since there wasn’t anyone else.  For the next 3 hours, it would be just the 2 of us.

Clay offered me an umbrella, but I said that I was fine with my jacket, though this was probably the strongest that the rain had been today.  I apologized that he had to come out for just one person, but he said that since this was his business, he did whatever was needed.  Plus, he said this would give us an opportunity for conversation and by the time we were done, that proved to be a fact.  Clay took me for a walk in the park and over a bridge, to point out the skyline of Birmingham.  Well, that was near impossible in this weather.  He wanted to show me the statue of “Vulcan”, which was located on a hill just outside of downtown and looked over the city from ‘Vulcan Park’.  There is apparently a great view of the city from there, though we wouldn’t be going there today owing to the weather.  So Clay told me a bit about the history of the statue, which is the world’s largest “Cast Iron” statue and was built in Birmingham for the 1904 “World’s Fair” in St. Louis.  Since the end of the fair, he has been overlooking the city.

Birmingham aka "The Magic City"
I asked Clay why Birmingham had been settled where it was, especially since there wasn’t a river nearby.  He said that while there wasn’t that, there were 2 major railway lines that allowed Birmingham to be an industrial city, especially in the production of iron and steel, and a major competitor to Pittsburgh.  It had even earned the nickname of “The Magic City”.  Clay asked if I liked Baseball, and I said that while I followed the sport, it wasn’t my favorite.  It was soon apparent that Clay was a huge fan and our first stop was the nearby ‘Negro Southern League Museum’.  The museum showcased the memorabilia and told the history of African-American baseball during the segregation era.  For the next 30 minutes I got a personal tour from Clay, who knew enough about this place to be a historian.  He told me about the team from Birmingham, who had made it to the “World Series”, without winning one and showed me some of the memorabilia.  He mentioned that someday he wanted to own some of these pieces, which were sold at a premium on “Ebay”.  We talked about African-American baseball in that era, and how segregation played a big role in everything from how the players, as well as the spectators were treated.  There were even some examples of the seats from various stadiums.  It was refreshing to see how much Clay loved this place.

The 'Sloss Furnaces'
Clay asked me if I was more interested in the “Civil Rights Movement” or if I wanted to visit another historic baseball stadium just outside the city.  I said that I would defer to him and while he really wanted to go to there, he perhaps sensed that I wasn’t as big of a fan as him – who would be – and so we decided to skip that for another location.  We walked over to Clay’s van, which was parked next to some apartments overlooking yet another “Minor League” stadium.  Clay said that some of the apartments overlooked the field and I am sure he would love to be in one of those.  We were going to a place called ‘Sloss Furnaces National Historic Landmark’.  This was once a site that was the largest manufacturer of “Pig Iron” from 1882 to 1970 and now a popular tourist landmark.  But before that, we drove past the offices of Mr. Shunnarah.  I had mentioned his billboards to Clay and he had confirmed that Mr. Shunnarah is somewhat of a celebrity in these parts.  Since it was on the way, Clay said that he would show me the place and while it did not have a billboard, his name was on the building in giant lettering.

The dark interiors of the plant
We parked at ‘Sloss Furnaces’ and Clay then took me through the abandoned plant, which was so densely packed that even though you were technically outside, it was dark between the equipment. In fact, they have "Halloween Tours" of this place and I could see it getting creepy.  Clay was knowledgeable in the manufacturing process and pointed out the various pieces of equipment, their purpose and what it was like to have been a worker over here.  I have been to an operational Steel Plant in the North and it was inhumanely hot to be walking around, breathing being a chore.  I couldn’t even imagine being here during an Alabama summer and during the days before air conditioned booths from wherein you controlled the processes.  As we walked through the place, Clay told me about the history of this place, how it employed many and how political pressure from the Northern companies – who couldn’t compete with the cheap prices – forced this place to shut down.  Part of the reason why the iron from this place was cheap, was due to its reduced labor costs.  Clay and I discussed how this place was during segregation and he told me about some of the ugly truths about living in Alabama.  We were just getting started.

"Kelley Ingram Park'
As we drove to our next destination, Clay pointed to the expressway running next to the plant and how they had to raise it since there was a risk of “slag” running on to the streets.  Also, it seems that there were some reported accidents attributed to the intense heat and light from the furnace as cars drove by at night.  That sounded a bit intense to me.  Our next stop was at ‘Kelley Ingram Park’, which played a significant part in the “Civil Rights Movement”.  As we got out of the van, Clay mentioned that the park is located at what was generally considered the demarcation between the Black and White communities.  This was also across the ‘16th Street Baptist Church’, the site of a hate-crime bombing in September 1963.  Clay went into great details of that story and what impact that has had on Birmingham and Alabama.  We talked about the “Civil Rights Movement” and the monuments in the park, along with how Alabama has evolved as a State.  I mentioned to him the perception that exists and how I had been pleasantly surprised at the warmth and friendliness that I had encountered since my arrival.  He then told me a few stories about the recent past, especially as it relates to the political spectrum and said that no matter how people appear, the truth can easily be gauged by their actions. He said that until the generation with a certain mindset is dead, things won’t truly change.  Extremely strong words, but he said them with conviction.

Beer at 'Cahaba Breweing'
Clay said that we were going to conclude our tour with a stop at a brewery and asked if I had a preference for a beer type.  Apparently there were several breweries to choose from and when I said that I liked “German Lagers”, he picked ‘Cahaba Brewing’, and we headed there.  It wasn’t just us, since the entire population of Birmingham, including their dogs, had come here this afternoon, now that the rain had stopped.  The parking lot was full as was the giant hall, which had tables scattered all over, all of which were occupied by people.  This place encouraged people to bring in their kids and dogs, and there were several of each around.  There was also a “food truck” outside, which is becoming common nowadays with bars and breweries.  Clay recommended a beer and since he was still working, he stuck to one of the local snack packs that he carried in his car and which he had offered me earlier.  A brewery is a regular stop on his tour and the only question is which one to visit.

It was evening when we ended
We found standing room at the back of the room, overlooking the actual brewery behind glass windows, and continued our earlier discussion.  I said that back in the segregation era the kids weren’t exposed to anything beyond what they saw at home and perhaps learned in school.  There was no “social media” and television wasn’t as prevalent.  So if your parents and their parents believed in segregation and were racists, that’s what you probably thought was right.  I am not making an excuse, just trying to figure out why people think the way they do.  Generational way of thinking and way of life is what started the “Civil War” in the first place.  I said that I was optimistic that with the amount of information that is available to the current generation, one can’t help but imagine that things are different.  Clay agreed to some extent and repeated his earlier statement.  Standing here, drinking beer and discussing local social topics made me feel like I was in an "Anthony Bourdain show"!

The backdrop at 'The Collin's Bar'
Clay asked me where I wanted to be dropped off and I told him that I was headed to a place called ‘The Collin’s Bar’.  As we arrived there, Clay pointed out another place called ‘The Atomic Lounge’ and said that I should give it a shot as well.  I bid goodbye to Clay and said that I couldn’t have asked for a better experience.  Being the only person had allowed me to have extensive discussions with him and his knowledge about all things Birmingham made it an excellent tour. ‘The Collin’s Bar’ was known for its cocktails, with expert mixologists.  I took a seat at the bar, against a backdrop of a giant “Periodic Table of Elements”.  The main difference was that all the symbols, while in the right place, referred to something related to Birmingham.  The folks behind the bar were as good as advertised and after a drink there, I proceeded to the next place which was called ‘Bistro Two Eighteen’.  The menu looked classic French and the gentleman behind the bar had an accent. Staying consistent with the theme, I opted for a ‘French Martini’.

The surreal 'Atomic Lounge'
A block away was a boutique hotel named ‘Elyton Hotel’, on whose rooftop was a bar called ‘Moon Shine’.  The menu had several cocktails made from ‘Moonshine” and some creative ones too.  Plus, they were served in a “Mason Jar”!  I had set my plans for the evening and my next stop was a bar nearby called ‘The Louis’, but I was intrigued by what Clay had told me about ‘The Atomic Lounge’.  And boy I’m glad I went there.  As soon as I entered, I knew that this place was special.  I was greeted by a sight of folks wearing full length “furry costumes”.  I learned that there were several such costumes in the bar and people could wear them as long as they were here.  Brilliant!  While I did not wear one of those, I did order the drink that they were known for, “The Legendary Sex Panther”, inspired by the terrific movie, “Anchorman”.  The description said, “Our signature cocktail is illegal in 9 countries. It’s made with bits of real panther.  60% of the time it works every time.”  Plus, it came with its own temporary panther tattoo, which the bartender told me to apply as I enjoyed the drink.  Having done so, I enjoyed my stay here and that cocktail was fantastic.  This was definitely one of the best and one of the most surreal bar experiences that I have had during my travels.

A liquor store and a bar
I took a ride to another popular spot called ‘Lou’s Pub and Package Store’, which was a bar located inside a liquor store.  Talk about cutting out your middle man!  The place was full, though there were a couple of tables next to the cabinets and I grabbed one.  Being a store, there was a “Open” neon sign that was casting a glow on my table, making it even more exotic.  I had read that some of the top bartenders usually stopped by to work the place and I don’t know who it was today, but the drink was great.  I took a ride to my dinner location which was called ‘Hot and Hot Fish Club’.  The entrance was quite charming, like entering a house.  The place was popular and crowded.  I waited at the bar area till they had my table ready and while not as great as last night, the food was quite good.  I ended with something called “Elton’s Chocolate Soufflé”, which are some good words put together.  It had been a long…and wet day, so I headed back to my room hoping that tomorrow would be dry.

'Birmingham Botanical Gardens' in the rain
Well, it wasn’t.  It was drizzling as I checked out of my hotel and called a ride to go to ‘Birmingham Botanical Gardens’.  We went up a hill, through a residential neighborhood and based on the houses there, it looked like an expensive area.  By now the rain had picked up and it really seemed silly to be going into a garden.  Even my driver asked if I wanted to do this and looked suspicious when I said that I did.  I walked through the gates and I wasn’t surprised to see that I was the only person in there.  Even the staff had decided to take the day off.  I walked through the gardens in the rain, at one stage taking refuge in the indoors “Cactus Garden”.  Even though the weather wasn’t cooperating, the garden itself was quite good.  I called it quits after some time and then the challenge was to find an exit since I had wandered in too deep and was now at the entrance of the zoo.  I was sure that even the animals would be staying in their cages today.  I was consulting my phone for directions, but there was a risk of it getting wet.  So I followed a path and after what felt like a tour of the perimeter, I emerged outside.

'Birmingham Civil Rights Institute'
I was going to a nearby place for brunch and since I was already wet, decided to walk there.  It took me past the houses and into a “strip mall”, where ‘The Broken Egg Café’ was located.  Rain or not, this was most certainly a popular destination and I was told that I would have to wait 45 minutes for a table.  I wasn’t in a rush and so I agreed, but was lucky to grab a seat at the bar soon.  I could soon tell why they were so popular and after having been well fed, I called for a ride back into town.  I was going to the ‘Birmingham Civil Rights Institute’, which was located right across the ‘Kelley Ingram Park’ that I had visited yesterday.  I was dropped off outside the building which looked fantastic, with a dome in the center and two wings running perpendicular to it on either side.

A tribute to Rosa Parks
I got my ticket and once inside I was told that this was a self-guided tour, starting with a short film.  The film set-up the situation in Alabama pre "Civil Rights Movement" and then we were let inside the museum.  They had models showing examples of segregation such separate water fountains labeled “white” and “colored”, separate schools for kids, and almost every other aspect of life.  There was the famous story of Rosa Parks as well as a full size model of the bus.  There were stories of the “Klan” and all sorts of atrocities committed in that era.  Perhaps by design, one of the windows overlooks the church where the bombing took place.  But there were also stories of perseverance and redemption, bringing us to where we are today.  It is a fantastic museum and along with the ‘911 Museum’ in NYC, should be a must visit for everyone.

'McWane Science Center' , my last stop
The drizzle was still on as I left, though it wasn’t as bad as this morning.  More often than not, my final stop on all visits ends up being the science museum.  This was going to be the case here as well as I headed to ‘McWane Science Center’.  The lower level had an activity center where kids and their parents could do “hands-on science”, something which most museums have.  That section was busy, with many kids pushing buttons aimlessly.  Upper level was designed like a “Nature Museum”…I guess, since there were models of plans and animals.  There was also a gallery on astronomy and that was it.  I walked through once and even though I still had time, decided to go back to the hotel to collect my bag.  The rain had subsided as I took a ride back to the airport, with Mr. Shunnarah saying goodbye every 100 meters.

I had enjoyed my visit to Birmingham.  It is a very different city than what people expect, not dissimilar to others that I have visited.  The food and bar culture is just as same as other city; and this place even has ‘The Atomic Lounge’!  My conversation with Clay and my visits to some of the monuments and museums had helped me understand a little bit about what happened here.  But more importantly, I do feel that people are headed in the right direction.  And with Mr. Shunnarah looking upon them, at least we know that their accident coverage will be handled!




No comments:

Post a Comment