51 in 51: Midpoint Review

It has been 26 months since I started and I have so far visited 25 States plus Washington DC.  So, it is time for a “Midpoint review” and since everyone likes lists, I thought that would be the best way to do this.  While there will be categories where I discuss specific items, let us begin with a countdown.


Best Visit
Now this is not meant to rank places in terms of their appeal, but rather my overall experience when I was there.  And just because something shows up lower in the list doesn’t mean I had a bad experience.  It was still one of the best visits that I have had, just marginally below the others.

26. OHIO – Mayfield Heights (January, 2015): I was visiting my dearest friends and so it definitely counts as a great visit.  It’s just that I did not get to do some of the typical things that I get to do on my other trips.

25. CONNECTICUT – South Windsor (November, 2014): This was another visit to see friends, but what made this one special was a “Halloween Party”, my very first one.

24. CALIFORNIA – San Jose & Napa (December, 2014): At the risk of bottom of this list having a theme, once again, I was visiting friends over Christmas.  While most of my time in San Jose was spent indoors, I did manage to get away for a couple of days and visit Napa.

23. NEVADA – Las Vegas (October, 2015): I took this trip with friends and it turned out to be a typical Vegas weekend where time is as irrelevant as the sun outside.

22. DELAWARE – Dover & Wilmington (November, 2016): The latest of my visits was one that was a pleasant surprise since I came to Delaware with very little expectations and left feeling that I needed more time.

21. LOUISIANA – New Orleans & Gonzales (April, 2015): I combined a visit to New Orleans with a work trip to Gonzales Louisiana and there isn’t much to report from the latter. I did manage to cram in a lot in the 24 hours that I was there in New Orleans, including a “5-in-1 Ghost & Mystery Tour” and having my palm read in an actual “Voodoo Shop”.

20. MISSOURI – Saint Louis (March, 2015): My lasting memory from Saint Louis will be of the majestic “Arch”.  It was one of my earlier visits, but a memorable one.

19. GEORGIA – Atlanta (November, 2015): I managed to do a lot during the 2 days that I was in Atlanta, including going to a ‘NFL’ game.

18. INDIANA – Indianapolis (February, 2016): Another action packed weekend, but one which was made special by the “Museum By Moonlight” event as well as a drive around the hallowed ‘Indianapolis Speedway’.

17. MASSACHUSETTS – Boston & Salem (September, 2016): Although I had been to Boston many times, this visit was as if for the first time.  Plus, Salem is as charming a town as I have seen during these travels.

16. TENNESSEE – Nashville (February, 2015): I arrived in Nashville a few days after a crippling “ice storm” that left the sidewalks and many parts of the city frozen; so much so that it was difficult to walk.  So it says a lot about the place when despite that and a thunderstorm, this was one of my favorite visits.

15. ILLINOIS – Springfield (August, 2016): I am glad that I picked another destination in Illinois besides Chicago, since it brought me here.  Not only did I learn a lot more about Lincoln, but also experience the unique American tradition that is the “State Fair”.

14. MINNESOTA – Minneapolis (June, 2015): I was surprised by how much I enjoyed visiting Minneapolis.  It’s not everywhere that you get to visit a museum which looks like ruins of a castle and is dedicated to flour.

13. MARYLAND – Baltimore (May, 2016): There is something special about a city with a harbor and none better than Baltimore.  I had 2 wonderful evenings around there and also got to go to a “comic book” museum.

12. NEBRASKA – Omaha (October, 2016): Another one of those places where I wish I had more time.  A wonderful riverfront walk and some of the best restaurants and bars make me want to visit again.

11. KENTUCKY – Louisville (April, 2016): The land of Bourbon and beautiful one at that.  Well, had plenty of that, as well as some good food.

10. PENNSYLVANIA – Pittsburgh (October, 2014): This was my home before Chicago and my first stop on the journey.  I loved my year's there and try to recreate that magic every time I go back.  One of the best riverfront walks in the nation.

9. TEXAS – Austin (December, 2015): Austin is an oasis in Texas and one of my favorite cities.  Everything about the place, the culture, the food and the people makes this a destination that everyone should want to visit.  And they should seek out the ‘Garage Bar’.

8. RHODE ISLAND – Newport (September, 2015): A charming New England town with some of the most opulent mansions that I have seen.  Plus it has the incredible “Cliff Walk”.

7. MONTANA – Whitefish & Glacier National Park (July, 2015): By far one of most beautiful places that I have visited.  The walk towards “Hidden Lake” is one of the most unforgettable experiences of my life.

6. FLORIDA – Orlando (January, 2016): It took me a long time, but I finally made it to ‘Disneyworld’.  And it truly was a life affirming experience.

5. OREGON – Portland (July, 2016): This is one of the most laid-back places that I have visited and I loved every minute of it.  It’s a beautiful city with incredible food and some majestic views of the neighboring mountains.

4. DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA – Washington DC (March, 2016): I have always loved visiting our Capital and this time was no different.  If anything, it was more special because I fulfilled something that I had dreamt of doing as a kid – visit the "National Cherry Blossom Festival”.

3. WASHINGTON – Seattle (August, 2015): If there is a place that I could see myself moving to, it is Seattle.  I had wanted to visit for a long time and now that I had, I knew that this was one of my favorite cities.

2. NORTH DAKOTA – Fargo (June, 2016): Yes, you read this right.  My 2nd most memorable travel experience was in a one-street town.  But what a street!

1. NEW YORK – New York (May, 2015): I am sorry if people find this disappointing.  Of all the exotic places that I have been to, I pick New York City as my favorite.  Such a cliché!  Well, sometimes a cliché is called so because it just that good.  I have been to NYC more times than I remember and it never disappoints.  The places, the streets, the parks, even the grocery stores and their shelves are familiar to me.  Not only was this my favorite visit during these travels, it always will be a place that I look forward to.

Now for some of the other “awards”:

Best Food Place – Portland, Oregon: Most of the places that I stopped by for food had long lines.  And it was for good reason.  Everything from “street food” to “fine dining” was excellent.

Outstanding food at 'Minibar' in DC
Best Restaurant or Single Food Experience – ‘Minibar’ in Washington DC, District of Columbia: This was one of the more unique experiences where the diners were moved from room to room for different courses.  Plus I made some friends for the evening, which made it a memorable occasion.

Best Food Dish – “Gnocchi” at ‘Bardot Brasserie’ in Las Vegas, Nevada: In a place known for its endless buffets, a vegetarian dish in a classic “French Restaurant" blew my socks off.

Best Dessert – Homemade “Chocolate Molten Lava Cake” at Mayfield Heights, Ohio: My friend is a terrific chef and a baker and this was as good, if not better than anything that I could have ordered at a restaurant.

Best Coffee – “Vanilla Bean Latte” at ‘Prestogeorges’ in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania: One of my favorite routines in Pittsburgh was visiting this coffee shop on Saturday mornings for their "latte".  What makes it special is a homemade vanilla powder that they mix with the drink and then serve it at a perfect temperature.

Best “Drinking” Place – Louisville, Kentucky: This should not be a surprise, after all the place is known for Bourbon.  But as I did the “Urban Bourbon Trail”, I found out that having access to all these distilleries has resulted in some terrific bars and skilled mixologists.

Best Bar – ‘Wicked Rabbit’ – Omaha, Nebraska: A bar whose access is like some “spy movie”, not only has a terrific ambiance, but also some fantastic drinks served by friendly people.
'Wicked Rabbit' in Omaha

Best Single Drink – “Indian Paintbrush” at ‘Garage Bar’ in Austin, Texas: It’s located inside a public garage that hosts a “speakeasy” type bar in the back.  This drink was voted one of the best cocktails in Austin and in my opinion, is up there with any cocktail that I have had elsewhere.

Best Hotel – ‘Dover Garden Suites’ in Dover, Delaware: What I got for the amount I paid, makes this the best bargain.  Even without that it’s the best place that I’ve stayed at.

Most Unique Business – ‘The Fairy Store’ in Boston, Massachusetts: I almost passed by, but this place pulled me back it.  A wonderfully whimsical store with an owner who believes in magic.

Friendliest Place – Springfield, Illinois: Every place that I visited in this town and every person that I met was extremely friendly and welcoming.  Lincoln would have beem proud.
The path towards "Hidden Lake" in 'Glacier National Park'

Most Beautiful Place – “Hidden Lake Trail” at Glacier National Park: This is one of the most breathtaking places in the US and “Hidden Lake” is perhaps its crown jewel.

Best City – Seattle, Washington: There's a “vibe” to Seattle that makes it a fantastic city.  It was everything that I had thought it would be, and more.

Best Single Evening – Fargo, North Dakota: I sat in my hotel room wondering what I was going to do that evening.  And then I started walking down the main street, stopping to see the architecture, visit local shops, explore side streets and of course, eat and drink.  Before the evening was through, I knew that few would match this experience.

Best Single Experience – ‘Disneyworld’ in Orlando, Florida: It has been called the “Happiest place on Earth”.  And yes, it absolutely is. 

And there we are - halfway through the journey.  Based on everything that I have seen and experienced so far, I cannot wait for the rest.  Someone recently said that once this is over, I may the only person in the world who has successfully attempted this.  I don’t know about that, but I doubt if anyone else has had as much fun as me.


No comments:

Post a Comment